June 11, 2009

A truly filial son


A truly filial son!
I home-nursed a 56 years old patient, suffering from lung cancer, with metastasis to the brain. The hospital had sent him home in the “care of the family”. Each time I visited that patient I noticed the 15 year-old son was sitting near his father, at times reading or reciting verses from the Holy Koran; or just to hold his hands, wipe his fore head, or show attention and affection to his father. The young man was of quiet nature and displayed an unusual “maturity” for his age.

I would just admire his way attending to his father and assisting in taking care of him.
On the day of the father’s demise had, I happened to follow directly behind the hearse, which arrived at the cemetery well ahead of the rest of the family members and friends due to severe traffic congestion at the time. This young son followed in the hearse and while we were waiting for the others’ arrival I approached him and asked, “How are you feeling?” He replied instantly with a certain smile, “I just feel good! I will deeply miss my very beloved father but I think I did all I could do for him while he was sick and that gives me a good feeling of contentment and inner satisfaction even though he is now no more around”.
This incident happened more than 3 years ago, yet it is so vivid in my mind that I just feel I to have share it with you.
Are we not all having a beloved parent or spouse or partner in our life? Can we one day feel the way this young man did and say the same? Can we live with the way we treat our parents and others close to us once they have left us?

In the process of caring for the sick particularly those close to us we should always be able to say:
“I did all I could for her/him while she/he was still with us”

No comments: